Friday, January 31, 2014

Homemade Cleaner Without Nasty Chemicals!

On my road to a healthier lifestyle, one of the things I have been trying to do is get rid of as many chemicals from my home as possible. This is a cleaner my mom always used, unfortunately in all my, "I know everything," attitude of youth, I had for gotten about it until about a year ago. A huge plus as a parent is, if any kids get a hold of it, this is nowhere near as harmful to them as the store bought cleaners.

Ingredients:
1 cup vinegar (apple or distilled)
3 cups water (hot is better but cold works just fine)
1 tablespoon of Dawn dish soap

What I was not expecting was 3 things: 
  1. How much money I would save.  A large bottle of vinegar runs between $2-$5, Dawn Dish soap between $.99 for a small bottle to $4 for a large bottle,water $0, squirt bottle $1 at the dollar store. Your average cost per bottle runs around $.20 verses $4 to $8 per store bought stuff.
  2. How it works so much better than the expensive cleaners I had been using.
  3. How multi-functional it is: Not only does it clean and disinfect, it also eliminates orders. I use it on just about everything: counters, walls, tile, hardwood floors, windows, and the best yet the bathroom!
    With my household of four, three of which are, my husband, my 6 year-old son, and my 2 year-old son, (whom we are currently in the process of potty training), I'm sure you can imagine the mess and nasty boy bathroom smell. What I like to do is keep a spray bottle just for the bathroom. That way once or twice a day I can spray down the toilet  inside and out and quickly wipe it down with a paper towel or toilet paper. I never have to do the major job of scrubbing off the crusty build up.
Please feel free to leave a comment if you like.

God Bless,
Jacque Heaton

No comments: