Sunday, February 23, 2014

Carrot and Butternut Squash Soup IBS Friendly!

As you all have seen, I have been making all my FODMAP meals in bulk and freezing them. Right now I have a variety of 5 different meals....and it was getting quite boring. So after looking up a few recipes, a lot of which I knew I wouldn't like, I came across a carrot and butternut squash soup. The original recipe was not IBS friendly but it sounded so good I thought I would try a modified IBS version. It wasn't quite a hit with my husband, Dennis, or my eldest son, Quinton, but Jasper and I loved it! And since they didn't like it that means more for me!!

Ingredients: 
3 tbsp. Onion Olive Oil 
4 Large Chopped Carrots
1 Large Cubed Butternut Squash
1 16 oz. Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 Cup Almond Milk

Directions for Onion Olive Oil:
1 bottle of your favorite Olive Oil.
5 Sliced Onions
1. Heat the pan with the olive oil to a medium heat.
2. When hot, add the onion (this will pop and splatter so be careful)
3. Saute the onions until they are iridescent.
4. Strain onion from the oil, and let the oil cool.
5. Pour the oil back into it's bottle and relabel the bottle so you can tell it apart from the regular oil.
6. This works for IBS because it only transfers the flavor of the onion to the oil not the the part that irritates the stomach.

Directions for Carrot and Butternut Squash Soup:
1. In a pan add 3 tbsp. Onion Olive Oil, Chopped Carrots and Cubed Butternut Squash.
2. Saute for about 10 minutes or until the carrots and squash are slightly mushy
3. In a pot add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, and turn down to a simmer.
4. Add the Onion Olive Oil, Chopped Carrots and Cubed Butternut Squash to the pot.
(I didn't add and seasoning, if you want to add in some #4 is when you would want to add it)
5. Let it all simmer for 40 minutes.
6. Take half the indigence from the pot and blender it to a desired texture.
7. Repeat with the second half.
8. Add the 1 Cup Almond Milk.
9. Bring back up to a simmer for 5 minutes.
10. Let it set a bit and cool down and it is ready to serve!

Servings:
This served my family of 4 and gave me 3 servings that I bagged for the freezer.

Hope you all enjoy!
God Bless,
Jacque Heaton


No comments: